Today, with our large and fast-growing population of senior adults, many families are re-evaluating their priorities in life and considering the advantages of downsizing to a more manageable and liberating lifestyle. For many of these individuals and families, their home of many years has become a challenge to take care of, and in some cases, a considerable burden. This is especially the case for those who now have some physical limitations that make it increasingly difficult to keep up with the responsibilities of home ownership.
The Valuable Role of Assisted Living Today
Elaine Austin, Executive Director of Provident Village at Creekside in Smyrna, GA, says, “For many older Americans, assisted living communities have become an extremely popular option – and frequently the ideal solution. A relatively new concept twenty-five years ago, assisted living is now the most preferred and fastest growing senior living option for senior adults. Today, there are over 31,000 assisted living communities nationwide serving approximately one million seniors.
“Endorsed by AARP, assisted living communities help their residents remain as independent and self-sufficient as possible while providing assistance as it is needed. Assisted living provides a combination of housing, meals, personal care and support, social activities, 24-hour supervision and, in some cases, health-related service.
“For older Americans, there often comes a time when living at home – especially if they are alone – can pose serious health and safety risks as their needs for daily support and assistance increase over time. In addition to the continuing demands of maintaining home and property, many seniors are also at risk of falls and serious injury, insufficient nutrition, social isolation, depression, hygiene issues and personal safety.
“Leading assisted living communities such as the beautiful new Provident Village at Creekside are a great choice for those who want to live independently with just the right amount of personal assistance. They offer an ideal, transitional bridge between living at home and enjoying a safer, worry-free life that also provides a vibrant lifestyle.”
The Many Ways Downsizing to Assisted Living Adds to Your Quality of Life
As you consider your future, you’ll discover that the advantages of assisted living are many. Assisted living offers a variety of important physical, emotional, mental and spiritual benefits that directly enhance quality of life. As noted by Argentum (formerly the Assisted Living Federation of America), these senior living communities promote convenience, independence, high quality of life, social engagement, dignity and personal choices.
Various senior lifestyle resources including AARP and Argentum enumerate the many advantages that downsizing to senior living offers. For example:
- Leaving yard work and home maintenance behind – Keeping up a home becomes more challenging over time, especially for those who have some physical limitations.
- Staying actively engaged in life – Residents of assisted living communities need never be bored. Many kinds of entertainment and activities are offered, both onsite and out in the local community – from visiting performers and theme parties to day trips for shopping, visiting local landmarks, enjoying nature, or touring the local art museum.
- Healthy social interaction – Medical experts say that staying socially engaged and connected as you age is extremely important to your physical and emotional well-being – as well as your longevity. Assisted living communities offer a wealth of opportunities to stay engaged both mentally and socially. They can include favorite games like chess, bridge and poker, engaging reading and discussion groups and fascinating classes and lectures on every conceivable topic.
- New friendships and companions – Older adults can often become isolated in their homes, which is considered very unhealthy at any age. At senior lifestyle communities, they can make new friends, share a meal and enjoy festive occasions with one another. At the same time, those who are more introverted appreciate the fact that their privacy is always respected and what they do every day is their choice.
- Healthy, nutritious food – At assisted living residences, you don’t have to worry about grocery shopping, meal preparation or even coffee brewing. Instead, enjoy a fine dining experience with nutritious meals every day of the week.
- Relief from stressful driving – Driving can be stressful as we age, and our driving abilities may not be what they once were, either. For these reasons, many residents prefer to take advantage of the free transportation that’s provided by assisted living communities.
- Feeling safe and secure – Residents can rest easy knowing that they are safe from thieves and con artists. Additionally, residents enjoy the peace of mind that comes from 24/7 security and supervision.
- More positive family relationships – Through no fault of their own, older adults can become dependent on their grown children, or other close family members, for help of all kinds. Unnatural role reversals can strain relationships and foster unhealthy feelings of resentment by both parents and their adult children. Younger family members are freed from the role of caregiver and are able to spend time with their older loved ones in meaningful and pleasant ways.
Adds Elaine, “Understandably, moving out of a home of many years can be a difficult emotional change – even when it is clearly in the person’s best interest. If you are considering downsizing your home and simplifying your life, we can help you ease the transition.
“While downsizing can be an emotional time, it can also be a time of relief and anticipation for new life adventures. Ultimately, downsizing to the right assisted living community can pay major dividends in the form of greater personal freedom and independence as well as a more manageable, safe and enjoyable living environment.
“With the peace of mind of knowing that compassionate support is always available at Provident Village at Creekside, both our residents and their families are free to enjoy the countless benefits of our person-centered environment and vibrant lifestyle.”
Live Vibrantly! at Provident Village at Creekside
At Provident Village at Creekside, we believe vibrant days ensure bright tomorrows, so we’ve created a community where seniors, quite simply, Live Vibrantly! Whether it’s in our Assisted Living Community or Memory Care Neighborhood, each day we celebrate the individuality and strengths of each resident.
At Provident Village, to Live Vibrantly! means that days are filled with joy, vitality, growth and security. It means residents are socially active and personally empowered, with access to the personalized care and support they need to live fully. It means residing in a community where intellectual, social, emotional, spiritual and physical care are seamlessly integrated into everyday life.
Our compassionate Care Partners dedicate each day to enriching the lives of our residents. They customize the level of attention and activities to each resident’s specific needs and abilities. Our living environments are warm and inviting, with comfortable furnishings, beautiful fixtures and natural elements that bring the outdoors inside.